It's a Dogs Life...

Moving day is quickly upon me and I still have to make a decision about Mr. Mooney.  He is the best dog in the world and as silly as it seems, one of the huge reasons of why it has taken me so long to get moved is the dog.


I can't bring myself to let someone adopt Mr. Mooney, but I also can't see making that poor dog sit at home 12 hours a day by himself while I work two jobs. And Key West being what it is, I may have to work 12 hours a day. Currently, we have a huge house and a huge fenced yard and two balconies that Mr. Mooney can play in all he wants.  And we live in a very small neighborhood, so on the days when he runs away, it's in a neighborhood where he can always find his way home.


When I mentioned that I might have to leave him behind in yesterday's blog, someone actually commented 
" I can't believe you would leave behind that sweet dog. Not sure your a key west type to even consider such a thing."

Well, I am actually thinking of the dog.  He is a rambunctious Poodle puppy who has never been in a car for more than 30 minutes.  I would be driving across 5 Southern States, by myself, staying in a hotel at night, navigating the maps AND bringing a hyper dog with me.  If I had a reliable traveling companion, it would be much simpler.  But, like I said, IT'S COMPLICATED!  


Then there is the issue of finding a place to live.  Mr. Mooney is used to having a yard.  That may be not be possible.  Seventy five percent of the ads I have answered for Rooms for Rent or even apartments have said no pets.  In the mean time, I got Mr. Mooney groomed for the trip, so at least he won't be a smelly dog.


It's not like I am going to abandon him.  He might just go on an extended play date with my family till I get settled in Key West.  I have to come back to Texas in August or September and get my furniture.


He love kids and he has baby Roman to play with now.  It may be hard for him to be away from the kids.  Decisions must be made. 



5 comments:

  1. I completely understand your dilema.
    I too once lived in Key West for three years..
    with a teacup toy poodle named Sammy..
    did I mention he was 14 years old? and that we received orders to Spain?
    and ,before actually flying across the big pond for eleven plus hours..
    we would be living out of suitcases for at least three months after our household goods had been packed, crated and sent on a ship?
    so what to do with Sammy?
    I talked with my vet about putting him to sleep..
    he refused, not because Sammy was in the best of health..
    his words opened the floodgates..
    "if I thought Sammy was no longer capable of bringing joy to himself and others, there would be no question about it."
    Sammy was not show quality..
    he was the runt of the litter,
    with an underbite..
    he was my champion with the ferociousness of a doberman, my pillow made for soaking tears..
    my unconditional loving, devoted bundle of joy..
    oh the stories we could share..
    because of his size, he could not survive in the underbelly of a jumbo jet for those long flight hours..
    nor was he allowed in the passenger cabin..
    so, in telling my sad story to a co worker..
    she knew of someone who was looking for a small companion mutt..
    his wife of 50 years had recently passed away..
    so, SHE took Sammy over to meet her friend..
    It was if God himself had intervened..
    they hit it off (my letter of 10 pages of instructions for his lifestyle requirements requesting if these were not possible for any reason, I would gladly take Sammy back!)
    my last memories/pictures of Sammy are of sheer joy!
    both for life itself..
    and for a new lease on life with someone who was equally in need of love also..
    my advice..
    follow your heart..
    and say your prayers..
    an answer will come..
    enjoy Key West!
    warmest sandy hugs..
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Just wanted to stop by and tell you.....you won the Simple Daisy give-away:) Just send me your address when you get a minute:)
    ps...I LOVE that you followed your dream of living in Key West! So very inspiring:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful story! Our purpose in life as humans are to be stewards to those who need our help. Especially animals. I'll keep everyone posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simpledaisy! You have been there every step of the way. I am disappointed when you don't post new blogs every day. You have kept me going for the last year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I so hope that you can find Mr. Mooney a suitable home with your family or a friend...My heart goes out to you making such a difficult decision. My two are like my kids...so much a part of my family. I love the story written above...follow your heart and I'm sure that God will intervene...it appears He has already!! My Best to you both!! I look forward to reading more! Key West is one of my MOST Favorite Places on earth!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell the world how much you love Key West!