Stuff...and more stuff and more stuff and more stuff.

For the last 12 years I have been working on divesting myself of all my material possessions.  I don't have a real problem with that concept.

I don't really like stuff.  It clutters your mind.  I would rather have experiences than stuff.

To quote Tyler Durden in Fight Club "Reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions."

Everything I need will fit in my backpack.  However, there are other people in my life and they like their stuff.  I've been the keeper of their stuff since they were born.  I have their baby clothes, every pair of shoes my G-baby has ever warn, all of their awards, their first attempts at using a pencil, all of their artwork from school, every picture ever take, every report card ever brought home.

I can prove it.


Stuff...
More Stuff...



More Stuff...
More Stuff...


and MORE stuff......
AND MORE STUFF...

MORE & MORE STUFF...

Can you tell this is where I spend the majority of my time?
It's just stuff.


My Conch Cruiser and my Welcome Aboard welcome mat!
Some of my stuff I love, like the back patio, but the rest of it could all be dropped off at Goodwill and I would never miss it.

(DON'T TOUCH MY FISHING STUFF!)


STUFF:  You have to buy it, finance it, use it, store it, insure it, move it, clean it, fix it and waste countless hours worrying about it.

(And none of these pictures show my furniture which in storage, which I pay for every month, UGH!)

So, everyday, a little at a time,  I get rid of stuff.  I'm returning items that belong to other people, recycling as much as I can, giving it away to people who need it. (I had 6 sets of 800 count Egyptian cotton sheets!) ((who needs that many sheets???????????? You can only sleep on one set at a time)  I have been donating to the homeless shelter.  I gave away every suit and most of my work wear (except for one black jacket and two dresses) to Dress for Success.  If someone says they "like" something of mine...I give it to them (STAY AWAY FROM MY GUCCI BAG!)


Less really is more, and the cost of real estate is very expensive in Key West.  I'm going from a huge 2 story home to 10 X 10 rented room.  HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, pray for me.

INSPIRATIONAL VIDEO OF THE DAY:

This is an 8mm movie taken back in the 1950's in Key West.  I hope you enjoy the soundtrack as much as the pictures.   From Key West TV.




INSPIRATIONAL CONCH OF THE WEEK:

Diana Nyad is reaching for a record, swimming from Cuba to Florida without a shark cage, at age 61. Accomplishing that 103-mile swim would mean breaking the 32-year-old record, set by Diana in 1979, when she swam from the Bahamas to Florida. See her progress in near real-time below.
 Track Diana's swim!         Watch her Interview on CNN!
INSPIRATIONAL KEY WEST PHOTO OF THE WEEK:

 This is from Kelly Friend this weekend!  Thanks Kelly for keeping the dream alive!


INSPIRATIONAL BEACH OUTFIT OF THE WEEK!

Beachy 8.7



Have a Sunny week!!!!!!






2 comments:

  1. Hi, it's Christie from over at http://sewwhatshappening.blogspot.com/ Thanks for stopping by!

    As far as the cover up/dress goes, I haven't had a problem with the straps falling down. The armholes on mine aren't very big (just comfortable and regular sized) which I think helps keep the straps where they belong.

    I can't wait to see pictures of the dresses you make! Putting a blazer over them is a great idea. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Key West video from the 1950's! Your comment about stuff and having to insure it, move it, pay for it, fix it ... so true! We can't wait to get rid of our "stuff" too!

    ReplyDelete

Tell the world how much you love Key West!