One More Road Block to Key West!

I'm moving to Key West.  Nothing is going to stand in my way.  I'm taking the dog.  He is going to get well.  My child is going to be alright, and we are going to live happily ever after.

The Southernmost Point of the United States


If you can see it, you can believe it, you can achieve it!  So every single day I when I wake up, before I get out of the bed, I say "I'm moving to Key West". "Nothing is going to stand in my way".  "Today is the Day!"

For the whole weekend, I worried myself to death over Mr. Mooney.  He was in soooo much pain.  I thought he was going to die. Now, I not one of those crazy dog people, I don't really even like dogs, (I'm a cat person),  but I know I was put on this earth to be a steward to all God's creatures.  I took the responsibility of taking care of this dog when I adopted him..  He was a rescue from a family that had an autistic child.  The family thought the dog would be good for her.  Instead, the exact opposite happened.  Every time she saw the dog she got manic.  She screamed at the top of her lungs like someone was trying to murder her.  He kicked and flailed and threw whatever she could at the dog.  Poor dog was traumatized by the time I got him.

So, instead of going home to my big old house, I decided to spend the weekend with my mother who lives in a one story ranch house. That way neither Mr. Mooney nor myself would have to traipse up and down the stairs.  In the mean time, we used every towel, sheet and blanket in the house trying to keep the dog clean.  We did more laundry that weekend that I have done in a life time.  I was exhausted.
My second daughter came to check on Mr. Mooney and was worried sick too.  Sunday evening, when I knew the vet would be slow, we took him back for a check up.  Little did we know, Mr. Mooney having lost all the nerve function in his lower extremities would keep him from urinating.  OMG!  What is Next????

But my child is very smart and she was watching how the vet tech checked him out and determined this.  So he took Mr. Mooney in the back room and 'expressed' his bladder, which was completely full.  (That alone can kill a dog). But, we didn't know that.  They charged us $40 to take him potty.

So, we took him back home and I sat down to make a hard decision.  Do I get the surgery for the dog at a cost of $4000?  Do I have the dog put to sleep?  What kind of quality of life is he going to have?  I just didn't know what to do.  But Mr. Mooney is only a puppy and has a long life ahead of him.  He also has his own Facebook page because he is so popular.  Friend Mr. Mooney on Facebook!
 
While I was looking after him, my daughter spent the night scouring the internet for a holistic veterinarian who could treat Mr. Mooney without surgery.  She found one for him and at 8:00 a.m. on Monday morning I called them and they bumped all of their other patients to see him.

She kept him there for a few hours and told me to leave while she checked him out.  While I was gone she did one acupuncture treatment on him and gave him some better quality meds than the Vet tech had given him. I had to commit to five weeks of treatment, or she wouldn't accept us as patients.   So, one more roadblock to Key West.

But, you know, it's worth it.   Besides, just imaging how happy Mr. Mooney is going to be playing on the beach!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell the world how much you love Key West!